Subject: Re: [bug#55606] [PATCH 2/2] gnu: Add hare.

From: Antero Mejr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 00:40:45 -0400

Hi (,

"(" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Some notes:
>
> + `hare` is not a compiler for Hare, it's a build tool. (It's going to
>   include a self-hosted compiler eventually though :))

The above 2 patches are a combination of your guixrus patches and mine.
The descriptions are replaced with your better ones, and you are
credited at the top.

> + I think the way this patch handles config.mk from `hare` is better.

I kept that part in the new patches.

> + The Guix 'R Us version works with cross-compilation; I don't think this
>   one does?
You mean cross-compilation of hare code? When I try to use hare build -t
(the target flag) it gives me a not implemented error, so I don't think
hare cross-compilation is possible right now.

As for cross-compilation of the guix hare build, I think the
platform-linux-architecture bit should take care of it, right?

> + harec and qbe probably shouldn't be propagated; their paths should be
>   patched into the source code.
>
>     -- (

I'm unsure about this one - maybe the user would want to use harec or
qbe by themselves to debug a build step?
I wanted to give the user a full hare build environment when
they run `guix install hare`, but I understand your logic for wanting to
patch the paths in.

Thanks,
Antero