Subject: bug#55602: closed (Re: bug#55602: [PATCH 0/2] Move (gnu platform) and friends to guix, and fix linux module build system.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 07:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55602: [PATCH 0/2] Move (gnu platform) and friends to guix, and fix linux module build system.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55602: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55602
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55602: [PATCH 0/2] Move (gnu platform) and friends to guix, and fix linux module build system.
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 09:31:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

> knows syntax expands at compile/expand-time only.  Since the platform
> code has moved to its own cozy (gnu platform) in the meantime, I
> figured that it could very well be simply use-module'd, but then it'd
> have to end up in (guix ...) to follow the rule that guix modules
> should never directly use-module gnu modules.  Hence this quite big
> patchset.

Oops sorry for not noticing it, pushed!

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Move (gnu platform) and friends to guix, and fix linux module build system.
From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 22:29:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi everyone,

The linux-module-build-system broke because we're now using platform
records, and the accessor platform-glibc-dynamic-linker is syntax.
The build system cannot invoke it through module-ref shenanigans (done
previously to avoid some circular dependencies), because as everyone
knows syntax expands at compile/expand-time only.  Since the platform
code has moved to its own cozy (gnu platform) in the meantime, I
figured that it could very well be simply use-module'd, but then it'd
have to end up in (guix ...) to follow the rule that guix modules
should never directly use-module gnu modules.  Hence this quite big
patchset.

This addresses the same issue as [1].

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55591

Best,
Josselin Poiret (2):
  Move (gnu platform) and (gnu platforms ...) to guix/.
  build-system: linux-module: Directly use-module (guix platform).

 doc/guix.texi                       | 2 +-
 etc/release-manifest.scm            | 2 +-
 gnu/ci.scm                          | 2 +-
 gnu/image.scm                       | 2 +-
 gnu/local.mk                        | 8 --------
 gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm     | 2 +-
 gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm          | 2 +-
 gnu/packages/cross-base.scm         | 2 +-
 gnu/packages/instrumentation.scm    | 2 +-
 gnu/packages/linux.scm              | 2 +-
 gnu/system/image.scm                | 2 +-
 gnu/system/images/hurd.scm          | 2 +-
 gnu/system/images/novena.scm        | 2 +-
 gnu/system/images/pine64.scm        | 2 +-
 gnu/system/images/pinebook-pro.scm  | 2 +-
 gnu/system/images/rock64.scm        | 2 +-
 guix/build-system/linux-module.scm  | 4 ++--
 {gnu => guix}/platform.scm          | 4 ++--
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/arm.scm     | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/hurd.scm    | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/mips.scm    | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/powerpc.scm | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/riscv.scm   | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/s390.scm    | 5 ++---
 {gnu => guix}/platforms/x86.scm     | 5 ++---
 guix/scripts/build.scm              | 2 +-
 guix/scripts/system.scm             | 2 +-
 guix/self.scm                       | 2 +-
 28 files changed, 36 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platform.scm (98%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/arm.scm (92%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/hurd.scm (90%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/mips.scm (90%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/powerpc.scm (92%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/riscv.scm (91%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/s390.scm (90%)
 rename {gnu => guix}/platforms/x86.scm (94%)

-- 
2.36.0