Subject: Re: bug#55599: save-buffers-kill-emacs doesn't give a visible prompt when called from command line

From: Peter Ludemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 12:34:23 -0700

There's probably a solution to this, but it could be a lot of work for a
small benefit.

If emacsclient --eval could pass in the stdin/stdout/stderr from the
terminal to the daemon, then things would work as I expect. But the
work-around is easy: emacsclient -c -e '...'

However, I noticed that stderr appears to be available, when there's an
error:

$ emacsclient --eval '(man fprintf)'
*ERROR*: Symbol’s value as variable is void: fprintf

and also when it works properly:

$ emacsclient --eval "(list-buffers)"
#<window 194 on *Buffer List*>

On Sat, 28 May 2022 at 12:39, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 22:25:53 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> >
> > > As to your suggested feature request: I'm not requesting termination
> of the server non-interactively - I'm just
> > > saying that when the shutdown command comes from the command line, the
> messages be output to the
> > > terminal, the way "message" does and not the way yes-or-no-p does.
> >
> > The terminal is still taken by the client frame it displays.
>
> Sorry, that was incorrect, because I was confused about the situation
> to which you were alluding.
>
> The correct response is: when a daemon Emacs doesn't show any frames,
> it has no way of communicating with the user, because the standard
> streams are no longer available, AFAIK.
>