Subject: bug#55592: 29.0.50; save-place-mode conflict with desktop.el when file encoding is utf-16

From: Eason Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 20:28:56 +0800

When enable desktop-save-mode and save-place-mode, it will take a long
time to restore a file with utf-16 encoding. Finally, will get the error
as below:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Desktop: Can’t load buffer test-utf-16.txt: Wrong type argument: listp, 㬻※⨭‭潣楤杮›瑵ⵦ㬸洠摯㩥氠獩⵰慤慴ⴠ⴪਍⠨挢⼺獕牥⽳煁慵䐯獥瑫灯琯獥⵴瑵ⵦ㘱琮瑸•‮㘳⤩਍
Wrote c:/Users/Eason/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 0 buffers restored, 1 failed to restore.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If I enable (setq debug-on-error t), will get this information:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp 㬻※⨭‭潣楤杮›瑵ⵦ㬸洠摯㩥氠獩⵰慤慴ⴠ⴪਍⠨挢⼺獕牥⽳煁慵䐯獥瑫灯琯獥⵴瑵ⵦ㘱琮瑸•‮㘳⤩਍)
  load-save-place-alist-from-file()
  save-place-find-file-hook()
  run-hooks(find-file-hook)
  after-find-file(nil nil)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer test-utf-16.txt> "~/Desktop/test-utf-16.txt" :nowarn nil "~/Desktop/test-utf-16.txt" (9851624185350923 244305694))
  find-file-noselect("c:/Users/Eason/Desktop/test-utf-16.txt" :nowarn)
  desktop-restore-file-buffer("c:/Users/Eason/Desktop/test-utf-16.txt" "test-utf-16.txt" nil)
  desktop-create-buffer(208 "c:/Users/Eason/Desktop/test-utf-16.txt" "test-utf-16.txt" text-mode (font-lock-mode) 36 (nil nil) nil nil ((buffer-display-time 25227 30153 506245 0) (buffer-file-coding-system . utf-16le-with-signature-dos)) ((mark-ring nil)))
  load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/Eason/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop" "c:/Users/Eason/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop" t t)
  load("c:/Users/Eason/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop" t t t)
  desktop-read()
  #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x120651713975d6b5>)()
  run-hooks(after-init-hook delayed-warnings-hook)
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

You can reproduce this issue with the following step:

1. create an file in ~/.emacs.d/init.el
2. put below code in in the init.el file
```
(desktop-save-mode 1)
(save-place-mode 1)
```
3. start Emacs and open a file with UTF-16 encoding, you can use the
sample file in the attachment

4. close Emacs with C-x C-c, will save a .emacs.desktop file and a
places file in the .emacs.d directory.

5. restart Emacs, now you can see the issue.

by the way, I tried C-h v buffer-file-coding-system on the
test-utf-16.txt an got this info: utf-16le-with-signature-dos

This issue also happended on Arch Linux and macOS.

-- 
Eason Huang

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-05-03 built on DESKTOP-30D687D
Repository revision: 0d5befb88243b1b92170f7c46664d6639b653f6c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19044
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.19044.1706)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation --without-dbus'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: CHS
  locale-coding-system: cp936

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  save-place-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-seq
cl-extra help-mode seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
saveplace desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib china-util iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 483944 189169)
 (symbols 48 38838 0)
 (strings 32 51839 48818)
 (string-bytes 1 1196389)
 (vectors 16 56315)
 (vector-slots 8 1157029 123550)
 (floats 8 31 312)
 (intervals 56 32427 31947)
 (buffers 992 13))