Subject: bug#55560: closed (Re: bug#55574: 28.1; desktop-kill not included in kill-emacs-hook anymore)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 12:01:03 +0000

Your bug report

#55574: 29.0.50; kill-emacs on daemon doesn't remove ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55574: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55574
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55574: 28.1; desktop-kill not included in kill-emacs-hook anymore
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 15:00:30 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 13:23:03 -0000
> From: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> Before Emacs 28, `desktop-kill` was included in `kill-emacs-hook` if
> `desktop-save-mode` was enabled.
> 
> In Emacs 28, `desktop-kill` is included in `kill-emacs-query-functions`
> instead. Therefore the desktop is not saved and the desktop lock not
> removed when `kill-emacs` is used to exit Emacs.
> 
> Unfortunately, the new behavior is not documented in the NEWS file.

I've now documented this in NEWS, and I'm therefore closing the bug.

Thanks.

Subject: 29.0.50; kill-emacs on daemon doesn't remove ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
From: Peter Ludemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 12:16:50 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I started emacs with "emacs --daemon". I stopped it with the
"kill-emacs" command. Emacs stopped, but the desktop lock file
remained. Following is the my console (not showing the
"emacs --daemon" command).

I'm pretty sure that older emacsen deleted the lock file
when the daemon was stopped, so this looks like a
regression. If it makes a difference, there was an
existing .emacs.desktop file when I started the daemon.

$ ps auwwwxxx|grep emacs
peter    29376  4.1  0.4 135876 68624 ?        Ss   11:30   0:05 emacs
--daemon
peter    29855  0.0  0.0   6180   728 pts/0    S+   11:33   0:00 grep emacs
$ cat ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock ;echo
29376
$ emacsclient -e '(kill-emacs)'
$ ps auwwwxxx|grep emacs
peter    29861  0.0  0.0   6180   664 pts/0    S+   11:33   0:00 grep emacs
$ cat ~/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock ;echo
29376

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)
 of 2022-05-21 built on penguin
Repository revision: 208102fa470e3417320062cdb48a9967d80bf092
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/peter/.local --with-gnutls
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/peter/.local/lib/pkgconfig:'

Configured features:
FREETYPE GIF GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XAW3D XDBE
XFT XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/src/pykythe/emacs/prolog hides
/home/peter/.local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/progmodes/prolog

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils shortdoc help-fns radix-tree misearch
multi-isearch mule-util apropos time-date term/xterm xterm finder-inf
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars cl-extra help-mode seq gv subr-x
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv autorevert filenotify grep compile
text-property-search comint ansi-color ring cus-load time savehist
desktop frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 91186 8875)
 (symbols 48 9960 1)
 (strings 32 29163 1620)
 (string-bytes 1 904097)
 (vectors 16 15493)
 (vector-slots 8 175522 6636)
 (floats 8 79 477)
 (intervals 56 533 0)
 (buffers 992 12))