Subject: bug#5557: <left-margin> <double-wheel-down> is undefined

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:34:25 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I just don't want us to usurp key bindings without a good reason.

I tried arguing that being more like other applications here makes for a
better user experience.  To me that's a good reason.

Plus I really don't know why someone would want to do anything but
scroll using the mouse wheel, or why users (or package authors) can't
rebind this on specific window areas should they want to.

> Let's leave the unbound mouse gestures unbound, and leave it to the
> users to decide what effect they have on different parts of the
> display.  There's no reason to force them all to do the same on any
> part of the display, when we don't even know what commands will be
> bound to them.

OK, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

One thing I don't understand is how binding to scroll-bar is supposed to
work.  I tried the following, but it didn't work (tested in GTK and
lucid):

    (global-set-key [vertical-scroll-bar mouse-5] 'foo-mouse-message)
    (defun foo-mouse-message (event)
      (interactive "e")
      (message "%s" (format-time-string "%H:%M:%S")))

(Change vertical-scroll-bar to left-fringe to see that it works there.)

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas