Subject: bug#5557: <left-margin> <double-wheel-down> is undefined

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 11:38:39 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Any comments?
> I have some:

Thank you.

>> +(defun mouse-wheel--create-scroll-keys-get-key (binding event)
>> +  "Given BINDING and EVENT, return symbol for key.
>> +Arguments are like in `mouse-wheel--create-scroll-keys'."
>> +  (intern (concat (pcase (caar binding)
>> +                    ('alt "A-") ('control "C-") ('hyper "H-")
>> +                    ('meta "M-") ('shift "S-") ('super "s-"))
>> +                  (symbol-name event))))
>
> I don't think I understand why we want to usurp mouse-wheel with every
> possible modifier.  I think the request was to honor only unmodified
> mouse-wheel scrolls, no?  Let's leave the modifiers to user bindings.

Well, it's not really all modifiers, at least not by default.  This
depends on what is configured in 'mouse-wheel-scroll-amount', so that
the user gets to decide.

My thinking is that it should be exactly the same to use the mouse wheel
(with or without modifiers) in the buffer area as on the fringe,
margins, etc.  I'm thinking that this way we are a bit preemptive, or we
risk getting bug reports saying that "sometimes scrolling doesn't
work".

IOW, I believe that the behaviour I suggest is the least surprising.
I have also checked Firefox and LibreOffice, and they also behave in
this way with regards to the modifiers.

Do you have any reason to believe anyone would specifically not like to
have those bindings there?

I agree with the rest of your comments.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas