Subject: bug#5557: <left-margin> <double-wheel-down> is undefined

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 19:39:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> What holds me back is that no other area of the display reacts to
> mouse-wheel as the text area.  E.g., turning the wheel on the fringes
> or on the scroll bar produces the same "undefined" message as for
> margins.

FWIW, I personally think it makes sense to add this binding also to
the fringes and the scroll bar.  If the user tries to use the mouse
wheel there, it's it my opinion most likely just a case of missing the
window by a couple of pixels.

> I'm guessing that the OP wanted to have the display scrolled no matter
> where on display the user turns the mouse wheel, but evidently that's
> not how things are defined by default.  If we decide to change that,
> it IMO makes little sense to do that only for the margins, but not for
> the fringes or the scroll bar.

I'm not seeing this when I use the mouse wheel on the scroll bar on
GTK 3.  Instead, the "bar" (inside the scroll bar) that indicates the
current position strangely moves downwards slowly.  I get no error
message, and the window doesn't scroll.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas