Subject: bug#51753: closed (Re: bug#55540: 29.0.50; ERC launches autojoin-channels in current frame instead of original frame)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 23:26:03 +0000

Your bug report

#55540: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55540: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55540
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55540: 29.0.50; ERC launches autojoin-channels in current frame instead of original frame
From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
To: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2023 16:25:13 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I've added a version of the frames patch as well as an option to control
buffer-display behavior for interactive entry-point invocations.

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=0e4c07dc
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=3a012d1d

Thanks and closing.

Subject: ERC switches to channel buffer on reconnect
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 07:09:24 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: important

When ERC reconnects, it switches buffer to the channel buffers.  This is
*very* dangerous.

Consider the situation when the user is about to paste a password and
hit enter with a quick "C-y RET", when all of a sudden the ERC buffer
pops up a fraction of a second before you hit those keys.  Now your
password is on IRC.

At the very least, this behavior should be disabled by default, and
preferably also come with a big warning sign for anyone that intends to
enable it.