Subject: Re: bug#55540: 29.0.50; ERC launches autojoin-channels in current frame instead of original frame

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 06:28:08 -0800

Emanuel Berg <[email-masked]> writes:

> J.P. wrote:
>
>> I believe changing the default for `erc-join-buffer' (alone)
>> to `bury' is the easiest way to achieve that.
>
> `erc-join-buffer' sounds like a command/function BTW.

Indeed. And the "join" part makes it sound like it's only supposed to
affect channels. Therefore, I think this should be aliased to something
like `erc-buffer-display' because it also determines how server buffers
are shown. Doing so would maybe also aid in discoverability by bringing
it more in line with `erc-query-display' and `erc-reconnect-display'.
The same goes for `erc-auto-query', which could likewise become
`erc-receive-query-display' or similar.

We should also probably mention somewhere that the new default value of
`bury' doesn't put existing buffers at the end of the buffer list.
Moreover, I'm thinking that having `bury' as the default for interactive
invocations (which is now the case) may be too stark a proposition since
the only visual feedback afforded new users is a blip in the mode line.
(FWIW, one user on Libera has recently complained about this, going so
far as to label it a bug.) Anyway, the "penultimate" patch in the POC
portion of the set proposed in bug#60428 [1] incorporates some of these
ideas. If anyone's interested, please check it out. Thanks.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60428