Subject: Re: bug#55537: Guix pull after many months fails: substitutes for git-minimal-2.36.1 failed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 16:12:33 +0200

Hi Maxime and Rafa,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Giovanni Biscuolo schreef op ma 30-05-2022 om 11:59 [+0200]:
>> is it possible that you are running a pre 2019-05-27 guix-daemon ?
>> 
>> please can you tell us the result of this command: "sudo -E guix
>> describe"?
>
> I don't think you can reliably find the version of the daemon that
> way.

I just wanted to see the last guix commit in the root profile, this give
us an idea of the date the last guix (and guix-daemon) was updated, no?

Rafa, actually the command to see the version of your guix daemon is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix-daemon -V

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> IIRC, on Debian, /etc/systemd/guix-daemon.service

on my Debian 11 system guix-daemon.service in in /etc/systemd/system ;-)

[...]

> If you have the former, you'll need "/usr/bin/guix describe" instead
> of "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix describe"
> (the latter would probably be used by "sudo -E guix").

Are there any differences in information we get when running "describe"
with different binary versions of guix?  I guess the command just
describes the actual status of a user profile, root in this case: do I
miss something?

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures