Subject: Re: bug#55537: Guix pull after many months fails: substitutes for git-minimal-2.36.1 failed

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 15:44:26 +0200

Hi Rafa,

Rafa Gálvez <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> is it possible that you are running a pre 2019-05-27 guix-daemon ?
>> 
>> please can you tell us the result of this command: "sudo -E guix
>> describe"?
>
> ~> sudo -E guix describe
> guile: warning: failed to install locale
> guix describe: error: failed to determine origin
> hint: Perhaps this `guix' command was not obtained with `guix pull'? Its 
> version string is ea54133367aad77a9e941fba18fe57ab3e1ab5d9.

OK, that commit is dated Wed May 22 00:00:06 2019 so your guix-daemon
does not support lzip compressed substitutes /and/ gzip support has been
removed on 2022/03/01

[...]

> I tried to update the guix daemon, but it failed with this error:
>> sudo -i guix pull

This does not work because now substitutes are only available in lzip
while your currently running daemon il "gzip only"

[...]

> Is there a way to reinstall guix on a foreign distro?

If you are on Debian 11 or above you can install the guix deb package
(and eventually upgrade guix-daemon with "sudo -i guix pull", but beware
of the path used in guix-daemon.service in /etc/systemd/system/)

> I couldn't find instructions on the manual, the only related thing it
> says is that I shouldn't unpack guix on an working Guix system[0].

Sorry I cannot help on repairing this situation

[...]

Good luck! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures