Subject: Re: bug#55537: Guix pull after many months fails: substitutes for git-minimal-2.36.1 failed

From: Rafa Gálvez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 12:18:48 +0200

Hi Maxime, Giovanni,

On 2022-05-30 11:59, Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:
> Rafa Gálvez <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> [...]
> 
>> guix/ui.scm:1747:12: In procedure run-guix-command:
>> unsupported compression scheme lzip
> 
> is it possible that you are running a pre 2019-05-27 guix-daemon ?
> 
> please can you tell us the result of this command: "sudo -E guix
> describe"?

~> sudo -E guix describe
guile: warning: failed to install locale
guix describe: error: failed to determine origin
hint: Perhaps this `guix' command was not obtained with `guix pull'? Its 
version string is ea54133367aad77a9e941fba18fe57ab3e1ab5d9.

> [...]
> Thanks, Gio'

I tried to update the guix daemon, but it failed with this error:
> sudo -i guix pull
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)
gpg-agent[7461]: WARNING: "--write-env-file" is an obsolete option - it 
has no effect
gpg-agent[7462]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.2.35 started
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 
'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   69b27be
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
downloading from 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/zh3s89l1kri7r5ya0bmhil65lm0my691-module-import...
Backtrace:
            1 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/aiq72f37a9z7jx24mxf7p600sgx…")
In guix/ui.scm:
   1747:12  0 (run-guix-command _ . _)

guix/ui.scm:1747:12: In procedure run-guix-command:
unsupported compression scheme lzip
substitution of 
/gnu/store/zh3s89l1kri7r5ya0bmhil65lm0my691-module-import failed
killing process 8003
guix pull: error: some substitutes for the outputs of derivation 
`/gnu/store/wi2w0bld7g805qzw5bcqfjnpccnb0lac-module-import.drv' failed 
(usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to build 
derivation from source

Is there a way to reinstall guix on a foreign distro? I couldn't find 
instructions on the manual, the only related thing it says is that I 
shouldn't unpack guix on an working Guix system[0].

Thanks for your help!

Rafa

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html, 
step 2, 3rd paragraph