Subject: bug#55537: Guix pull after many months fails: substitutes for git-minimal-2.36.1 failed

From: Rafa Gálvez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 09:55:38 +0200

Hi,

On 2022-05-25 17:27, Maxime Devos wrote:
> Rafa Gálvez schreef op wo 25-05-2022 om 13:37 [+0200]:
>> Hi,
>> 
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Rafa Gálvez <[email-masked]> writes:
>> >
>> > Toggle quote (7 lines)
>> > > ./guix/store.scm:1428:15: ERROR:
>> > >    1. &store-protocol-error:
>> > >        message: "some substitutes for the outputs of derivation
>> > > `/gnu/store/6rbibj988j90d8gyccvxrqmkfr0l3mk6-git-minimal-2.36.1.drv'
>> > > failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to
>> > > build derivation from source "
>> >
>> > This seems to be a transient network issue, I was able to substitute
>> > that on my own computer.  Can you please retry again, and see if that
>> > fixes the problem?
>> 
>> I tried multiple times, everyday since it first happened, to no avail.
>> 
>> I also ran guix gc just in case there was something there very old 
>> that
>> was messing something up, but that didn't help either.
> 
> Given that error reporting in "guix pull" is rather basic, maybe try
> substituting or building git-minimal outside "guix pull", like this:
> 
> $ guix build 
> /gnu/store/6rbibj988j90d8gyccvxrqmkfr0l3mk6-git-minimal-2.36.1.drv
> 
> Maybe that will have more information (also easier to attempt to 
> reproduce for
> other people)?

This is the result of that command:
~> guix build 
/gnu/store/6rbibj988j90d8gyccvxrqmkfr0l3mk6-git-minimal-2.36.1.drv
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
20.4 MB will be downloaded:
    /gnu/store/5h2w4qi9hk1qzzgi1w83220ydslinr4s-glibc-2.33
    /gnu/store/4jdghmc65q7i7ib89zmvq66l0ghf7jc4-glibc-2.33-static
    /gnu/store/d7k34kpyggyaw70y7b85vgvi9wvwwwil-git-minimal-2.36.1
substituting 
/gnu/store/d7k34kpyggyaw70y7b85vgvi9wvwwwil-git-minimal-2.36.1...
downloading from 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/lzip/d7k34kpyggyaw70y7b85vgvi9wvwwwil-git-minimal-2.36.1 
...
Backtrace:
            1 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/aiq72f37a9z7jx24mxf7p600sgx…")
In guix/ui.scm:
   1747:12  0 (run-guix-command _ . _)

guix/ui.scm:1747:12: In procedure run-guix-command:
unsupported compression scheme lzip
substitution of 
/gnu/store/d7k34kpyggyaw70y7b85vgvi9wvwwwil-git-minimal-2.36.1 failed
guix build: error: some substitutes for the outputs of derivation 
`/gnu/store/6rbibj988j90d8gyccvxrqmkfr0l3mk6-git-minimal-2.36.1.drv' 
failed (usually happens due to networking issues); try `--fallback' to 
build derivation from source

> 
> Also, I'm wondering if it's case-related somehow, could you run
> 
> $ guix build echo
>> something like 
>> ‘/gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12’
> $ /gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12/bin/HELLO #
> type HELLO, not hello!
> 
> and tell use the output of that?

~> guix build /gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 
100.0%
substituting /gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12...
downloading from 
https://ci.guix.gnu.org/nar/gzip/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12 
...
  hello-2.12  61KiB                                                       
                                                                          
  1.4MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%

~> /gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12/bin/HELLO
fish: Unknown command: 
/gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12/bin/HELLO
~ [127]> 
/gnu/store/x2byq2a04pij2m2gqbcy11mqikz07i1m-hello-2.12/bin/hello
Hello, world!

> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Thanks Maxime for your help!

Rafa