Subject: bug#55519: 29.0.50; In popup menus, there is no text in Emacs own tooltips

From: David Ponce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 10:50:11 +0200

Hello,

After toggling the option `x-gtk-use-system-tooltips' to off, so Emacs
will use its own tooltips, tooltip text is missing in popup menus.

For example, in *scratch* buffer, C-down-mouse-3 popups a contextual
menu. When the mouse is over an option, the tooltip displayed has no
visible text. See also attached screenshot. Tooltips outside popup menus
seem to work as expected.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
  of 2022-05-19 built on kilauea
Repository revision: 6308f0738d3b1c1e0add5cab87bf02097fb1a8d1
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 36 (KDE Plasma)

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/dponce --with-cairo --without-sqlite3
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.utf8
   value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-theme
eieio-custom xwidget url-handlers image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
mailcap format-spec bookmark text-property-search wid-browse tree-widget
time-date gud easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 99800 12459)
  (symbols 48 10330 1)
  (strings 32 29727 2141)
  (string-bytes 1 896210)
  (vectors 16 18520)
  (vector-slots 8 235817 11875)
  (floats 8 49 82)
  (intervals 56 774 0)
  (buffers 992 14))