Subject: bug#55515: closed (Re: bug#55515: 29.0.50; Cannot restart a named daemon/create two named dameons)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 15:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55515: 29.0.50; Cannot restart a named daemon/create two named dameons

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55515: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55515
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55515: 29.0.50; Cannot restart a named daemon/create two named dameons
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 18:47:03 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 19:56:12 +0530
> 
> [வியாழன் மே 19, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Why are you using "--socket-name=NAME" when starting the daemon?  That
> > option is for emacsclient; the daemon should be invoked with the
> > "--daemon-NAME" option instead.
> 
> Indeed, thanks for clarifying.  This is a case of a cockpit error.
> Shame on me for not reading the manual carefully.  This bug can be
> closed, thanks.

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 29.0.50; Cannot restart a named daemon/create two named dameons
From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 09:14:07 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When trying to create two named daemons, Emacs get stuck.  The problem
is also exhibited when I close a named daemon and try to recreate it as
in,

    % emacs -Q --daemon --socket-name=a
    Starting Emacs daemon.
    % pkill emacs
    % emacs -Q --daemon --socket-name=a
    Starting Emacs daemon.
    ...

I don't get the prompt back after recreating the daemon.  If I use a
different socket-name, the same problem is exhibited.

There are no problems if I don't give the socket-name however.

I don't see any sockets in /tmp or in $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/emacs.  If I try
to remove $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/emacs and start the daemon, Emacs still gets
stuck.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2022-05-19 built on astatine
Repository revision: 76ea2de2865b5d447fc4b5dbc4eb0aba4e1753c0
Repository branch: imenu-xref
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: NixOS 21.11 (Porcupine)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-sqlite3 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-json
 --without-gsettings --with-x --without-libsystemd --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: ta_IN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  flymake-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  hl-todo-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  undelete-frame-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell goto-addr ecomplete mail-extr emacsbug
message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cursor-sensor paredit edmacro kmacro eros
time-date checkdoc lisp-mnt flymake-proc flymake warnings thingatpt
wordel-autoloads sokoban-autoloads ement-autoloads ts-autoloads
svg-lib-autoloads taxy-magit-section-autoloads taxy-autoloads
plz-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads
transmission-autoloads lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads
eros-autoloads flymake-shellcheck-autoloads writegood-mode-autoloads
siege-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads filladapt-autoloads compose quail
scroll-other-window org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads
change-env-autoloads math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads
ob-async-autoloads async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads
valign-autoloads org-starless-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads
auctex-autoloads tex-site easy-mmode pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util
semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu xref project pdf-tools package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars compile
comint ansi-color cus-edit hl-todo edebug debug backtrace find-func
wid-edit pdf-view password-cache bookmark text-property-search pp
jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs image-mode dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs exif pdf-tools-autoloads tablist-autoloads derived
mb-depth cus-load repeat visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads time format-spec battery dbus filenotify xml
disp-table lacarte-autoloads shell-command-plus-autoloads winner avy
ring avy-autoloads vc-backup-autoloads icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs rx filecache
flymake-grammarly-autoloads grammarly-autoloads websocket-autoloads
finder-inf request-autoloads s-autoloads chemtable-autoloads
molar-mass-autoloads pcase straight-autoloads info cl-seq cl-extra
help-mode seq byte-opt straight subr-x cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
bytecomp byte-compile cconv vz-nh-theme iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 206064 10336) (symbols ?0 19982 2) (strings 32 63913 2086)
 (
  string-bytes 1 2316941) (vectors 16 39365) (vector-slots 8 832881 13513)
 (
  floats 8 ?t ?C) (intervals ?8 370 0) (buffers 992 15))