Subject: bug#55514: 29.0.50; Keyboard macros and visual-line-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 16:59:57 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 15:38:37 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > And what do you mean by "execute the same as they were recorded"?
> 
> Moving logically versus visually.

Not sure I follow.  When you recorded the macro, was C-n moving by
logical lines or by screen lines?  If the former, how did you get it
to move by logical lines, when the default is to move by screen lines?

> >> I think having <down> recorded as `M-x next-logical-line' (etc), or
> >> something to that effect, is the way to go here.
> >
> > That's trivial to program, so I'm not sure I understand why would we
> > need that in core.
> 
> Trivial how?

Write a command that binds line-move-visual to nil and invokes
next-line, then bind it to some key, and use that key when you record
the macro.

But maybe your answer to my first questions above will explain to me
that I misunderstood you all the way.