Subject: bug#55514: 29.0.50; Keyboard macros and visual-line-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 13:40:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> As I said earlier, we could add a special value of line-move-visual,
> which would mean "move by visual lines, except when executing macros",
> which would I think solve your problem. 

That seems like a heavier solution than I had envisioned (without
looking at the code).  You can bind keyboard macros to keys and have
them executed, and the point is that they should execute the same way as
they were recorded.  That's the fantastic utility of recording keyboard
macros, after all.

I don't think a setting that affects line-move-visual in this way would
be all that sturdy.  You can, for instance, record a macro, save it to a
file, and use it later.  It would be awkward if flipping a setting then
affects how the macro executes.

I think having <down> recorded as `M-x next-logical-line' (etc), or
something to that effect, is the way to go here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no