Subject: bug#55514: 29.0.50; Keyboard macros and visual-line-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 13:46:00 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 09:26:50 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Then maybe I didn't understand the original report.  I thought you
> > wanted a way to make sure the macro runs with C-n/C-p working by
> > physical lines?
> 
> I want people to be able to create usable keyboard macros -- that's the
> major regression line-move-visual led to, so I never understood why this
> wasn't fixed when it was introduced.

I don't agree that using visual-line movement in a macro makes the
macro "unusable".  But I don't mind supporting your use case.  As I
said earlier, we could add a special value of line-move-visual, which
would mean "move by visual lines, except when executing macros", which
would I think solve your problem.  I just thought that adding a hook
could cater to a more general class of use cases, that's all.