Subject: bug#55514: 29.0.50; Keyboard macros and visual-line-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 03:59:01 +0200

visual-line-mode is nice, but it has one major drawback -- it makes
<down> not "reliable" when recording macros.

That is, if you record

C-x ( C-SPC <down> <down> C-k C-x )

(i.e., "kill two lines"), you can't really use `C-x e' to do much of
anything, because the buffer may have too-long lines that makes <down>
move down into the middle of a logical line.

So perhaps we should have a user option that remaps
next-line/previous-line to next-logical-line/previous-logical-line while
inside a `C-x ('?

(Or something to that effect -- perhaps the user option should make `C-x
(' switch visual-line-mode off and exiting recording switches it on
again (and the recorded macro would also contain those commands).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-05-17 built on xo
Repository revision: 803041e01474f2a522170c9f388068e8460be2ae
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no