Subject: Re: bug#5551: 23.1.92; Dired shows wrongly whole directory contents

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:46:48 +0100

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

> The doc seems ambiguous to me, and it is not clear to me what is the
> better behavior.  Do you have an argument for why displaying just the
> directory name is better?

Have you tried the example I gave in the bug report? There is definitely
an error, if default-directory points to "~/somewhere/else", and you
apply

  (dired '("foo" "~/"))

You will see the relative file names listed from "~/", but if you click
on a file name, you cannot open, because default-directory is still
"~/somewhere/else".

My proposed change was influenced by the comment in front of
insert-directory:

;; insert-directory
;; - must insert _exactly_one_line_ describing FILE if WILDCARD and
;;   FULL-DIRECTORY-P is nil.
;;   The single line of output must display FILE's name as it was
;;   given, namely, an absolute path name.

> But the present behavior has been around since at least Emacs 22, so I
> don't think we should make this change right now in any case.

It was also in Emacs 21.3 (Drew Adams has tested). But it is still an error.

Best regards, Michael.