Subject: bug#55499: [PATCH 2/3] profiles: Do not repeat entries in 'manifest' file.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 11:38:54 +0200

Hi,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès schreef op di 31-05-2022 om 18:09 [+0200]:
>> With this change, the manifest file created for:
>> 
>>   guix install r r-seurat r-cistopic r-monocle3 r-cicero-monocle3 r-assertthat
>> 
>> goes from 5.6M to 192K.  Likewise, on this profile, wall-clock time of:
>> 
>>   GUIX_PROFILING=gc guix package -I
>> 
>> goes from 0.7s to 0.1s, with heap usage going from 55M to 9M.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with this part of Guix to evaluate the patches,
> but the time, disk memory and heap memory decreases sound great!

Yup!  The difference is significant primarily for profiles with lots of
propagated inputs, so typically profiles with R or Python packages.

For my home profile (300+ packages but no R and no Python), it goes from
316K to 112K, heap usage for ‘guix package -I’ goes from 12M to 9M and
wall-clock time is almost unchanged.

Ludo’.