Subject: bug#55493: [PATCH] Rename Oriya to Odia

From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 21:08:09 +0530

>
> The changes to HELLO do more that the above says.  I don't think I
> understand the reason for the change in the "South Asia" line.

The South Asia line was correcting the Odia greeting, which I had changed
previously (from "Listen" to "Namaskaar")

This is unrelated, and I see no reason to rename the variable in a
> backward-incompatible way.  It's just a variable, so it doesn't have
> to be named rigorously correct.  If we were discussing new code, the
> correction would have had its place, but not now, 16 years after it
> was introduced.
>

This variable name is somewhat misleading. When I searched "iso 638",
online to see whether the language codes were updated or not,
 it showed me results for oven boards, later when searching "iso 638
languages" I realized that the correct standard number is 639.
There was also a FIXME above it, so I fixed that.
If there is a backward-compatible way to change it please tell me, or if
you still feel the change is not warranted, I will revert this it.

I don't think we should rename variables and functions.  It's just a
> lot of hassle for us (defalias etc.) and potentially for others, and
> the gain is very small.  This variable doesn't even say "oriya", just
> "ori".  Let's not be too radical here.
>

Then I should only rename in etc/HELLO, and in (set-language-info-alist) of
lisp/language/indian.el.

We cannot rename an input method we had for almost 20 years.  If there
> is some way of having an alias for an input method (I don't think so,
> but maybe I'm missing something), let's use that; otherwise we will
> have either to leave the old name alone or define a new input method
> that is an exact copy of the old one, except for the name and the
> mode-line indicator.
>

How about I make a new Odia input system, just like the ones which I had
made for the other scripts, and leave the old ones alone?

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 6:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Cc: [email-masked]
> > From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:57:56 +0530
> >
> > I think we should include the bill link in the commit message for future
> > readers.
>
> We could point to that in the commit log message.
>