Subject: 29.0.50; apropos-documentation with universal argument shows an error

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 00:21:08 +0200

Steps to reproduce:

emacs -Q
C-u C-h d window RET

Actual result:

An error is shown:

apropos-documentation-check-elc-file: Opening input file: No such file
or directory, <Path_to_emacs>/simple.elc

Backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Opening input file" "No such file or directory" "<Path_to_emacs>/simple.elc")
  insert-file-contents("simple.elc")
  apropos-documentation-check-elc-file("simple.elc")
  apropos-documentation-internal(("simple.elc" . 202399))
  #f(compiled-function (symbol) #<bytecode -0x13cfcf14a608b59f>)(kill-current-buffer)
  mapatoms(#f(compiled-function (symbol) #<bytecode -0x13cfcf14a608b59f>))
  apropos-documentation(("window") (4))
  funcall-interactively(apropos-documentation ("window") (4))
  call-interactively(apropos-documentation nil nil)
  command-execute(apropos-documentation)

Expected result:

Emacs shows symbols that contain "window" in its documentation, or a
specific error that says that no results are found.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 60, aarch64-apple-darwin21.4.0, NS appkit-2113.40 Version 12.3.1 (Build 21E258))
 of 2022-05-17 built on Daniels-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: 092aea9a27831a378ff8d1ab94a096675fe92343
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-webp=no
 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/homebrew/opt/openjdk@11/include'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
apropos iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 43105 7568)
 (symbols 48 5739 1)
 (strings 32 15418 1136)
 (string-bytes 1 498864)
 (vectors 16 11176)
 (vector-slots 8 159643 10882)
 (floats 8 20 32)
 (intervals 56 194 0)
 (buffers 992 11))