Subject: bug#55491: All completion fragments get added to obarray

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 13:03:10 +0200

JD Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for your thoughts.  The context is fairly specific — using
> cape-super-capf to compose two CAPF’s: elisp-completion-at-point and
> cape-dabbrev. This results in incorrect test-completion calls which
> interfere with candidate selection.  With your nudge, I discovered
> this is because cape is not handling the elisp--shorthand-aware-*
> predicates returned by the elisp completion system in all cases, so it
> can be fixed there.

Ah, I see.

> I guess whether this constitutes a bug depends on whether anyone would
> expect unbound completion fragments to pollute the obarray.

I think it's "always" been like this, so it may be unlikely to be
changed.  But I have to admit that I have no idea why completion is
interning stuff.  Does anybody know?  It does seem counter intuitive.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no