Subject: bug#55488: GDM, GNOME: Can't start desktop session after upgrade

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:29:38 +0200

Hi Luis,

Luis Felipe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 at 8:44 AM, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> This is a config that uses Xorg, not Wayland, right?
>
> Right.

[...]

>> What does ‘sudo herd status’ show at that point?

Looks as if everything was started.

Could you share bits of /var/log/messages starting from the line that
reads “syslogd (GNU inetutils 2.0): restart” (the last boot)?  This
could contain sensitive information so you can redact it or share it
privately if you prefer.

>> I wonder if it might be https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55488.
>
> Did you mean another bug number? 55488 is the one I reported :)

Oops, I meant <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55444>, which is now fixed.

>> If not, could you provide a minimal config that reproduces the problem?
>
> Here's one:

It works fine in ‘guix system vm’.  :-/
(Same for you?)

So it could be a stateful issue, such as stale files in /var/lib/gdm.
One way to test that hypothesis would be, for instance, to run:

  sudo mv /var/lib/gdm/.cache{,.bak}
  sudo herd restart xorg-server

Thanks,
Ludo’.