Subject: bug#55477: 29.0.50; flymake-goto-next-eror shows terminal like color codes in mini buffer

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:02:14 +0530

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> It's supposed to work automatically, though.  What's the value of your
> text-quoting-style variable?  The default, nil, is supposed to result in
> using "plain" quotes when it can't display the curved ones.
>
> (text-quoting-style)
> => curve
>
> here, but it should have returned nil in the en_IN environment you were
> in, apparently.

The above expression is returning "curve"; in all three environments,

en_US.UTF-8
en_IN.UTF-8
en_IN

I did one more experiment. I tried with LANG=en_IN.UTF-8 and it was
working fine. The bug is reproducible only with LANG=en_IN.

And I guess the desktop environment sets LANG to just en_IN or en_US
when only one variant of English is enabled in the system locales. After
adding both in locales, switch language changes it to either en_US.UTF-8
or en_IN.UTF-8.