Subject: Re: bug#55470: [PATCH] Add package-delete-regexp

From: "Marwan L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 13:04:34 +0100

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 11:17:26PM +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
> "Marwan L." <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > This function allows you to delete packages, with names that match the
> > regexp. This is makes operations like deleting multiple packages that
> > begin with the same namespace (^company.*, ^treemacs.*, etc.) much
> > easier to do
> 
> What is the advantage of a separate function for deleting packages
> compared to marking packages in the *Packages* buffer using "/ n" (that
> also accepts a regular expression)?

It depends on how much packages you have to go through. If you have tons
of packages to mark deletion on, then it will most likely involve
holding d (wish you could do C-u 100 d) and then doing x

`M-x list-packages` will also automatically fetch the latest list of
packages from your package archives, which is unnecessary

There's a prefix argument that disables fetching, but I didn't know that
before making this function nor this patch

You are free to close this patch if you want to

> 
> > The function will also tell you how much packages it will delete (in a
> > temporary buffer) and prompt for a Yes or No answer