Subject: Re: bug#55465: [PATCH 0/5] Update profanity and libstrophe

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 23:02:32 +0200

Hi,

Jack Hill <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This version of profanity uses libstrophe instead of profanity's fork of
> libstrophe, libmesode. There are no other uses of libmesode, so I've
> removed that package.

Makes sense.

> The URL of profanity's tarballs has changed, so I updated the source
> record. However, unfortunately, `guix refresh` is now no longer able
> to check for updates. Using tarballs for profanity (as opposed to git
> checkouts) is nice because profanity publishes checksums on their
> website.

I’ve added a ‘release-monitoring-url’ property to watch its home page.

> Profanity could use gtk+-3 instead of gtk+-2, but since profanity
> might be used places were the rust dependency of gtk+-3 is not
> appropriate, I've left it at version 2 for now.

It’s fine to use GTK+ 3.x: it’ll use librsvg 2.40 (in C) rather than the
Rust one on other architectures.  (GTK 4 is a problem though.)

>   gnu: libstrophe: Update to 0.12.0.
>   gnu: libstrophe: Improve package definition.
>   gnu: profanity: Update to 0.12.1.
>   gnu: libmesode: Remove package.
>   gnu: profanity: Remove input labels.

Applied, thanks!

Ludo’.