Subject: bug#55449: closed (Re: [PATCH] gnu: recutils: Use correct bash headers.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 07:40:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55449: recutils cross-compilation "fix" breaks bash builtins

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55449: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55449
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: recutils: Use correct bash headers.
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:39:34 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Am Samstag, dem 04.06.2022 um 10:30 +0200 schrieb Liliana Marie
Prikler:
> * gnu/packages/databases.scm (recutils)[arguments]: Convert to G-
> Expressions.
> Drop gratuitous dirname.
> [native-inputs]: Drop labels.  Move bash:include...
> [inputs]: ... here.  Also add regular bash.
> ---
Hi Guix, I've pushed this now.

There's still a UX issue in that recutils doesn't put these libraries
into lib/bash, but at the very least it works as described in the
manual right now.

Cheers

Subject: recutils cross-compilation "fix" breaks bash builtins
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 14:52:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

The fix in commit 20fbd870938e239c038d8524a56729f123f19f80, which lets
recutils cross-compile unfortunately omits support for the bash
builtins in all build modes, as recutils can't actually detect bash
headers there.

Unfortunately, recutils' configure.ac silently swallows this error in
the following check.
  AM_CONDITIONAL([BASH_BUILTINS],
                 [test "x$bash_headers_available" = "xyes" && 
                  test "x$bash_builtins_enabled" = "xyes"])
I only noticed, because I symlink the builtins to lib/bash, where
they're actually needed, which causes runpath validation to fail
because the symlink points to a file that doesn't exist.  I fixed this
locally, but still wanted y'all to know.

Is there a way we can support bash headers in cross-compilation
contexts?  I don't think having bash:include as a native input is even
helpful here, is it?  WDYT?