Subject: bug#55447: 29.0.50; package-quickstart.el contains '#$', preventing Emacs from initializing correctly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 10:53:09 +0200

Daniel Semyonov <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have deleted 'package-quickstart.el{,c}', all '*.elc' files in my
> package directory, restarted Emacs, then regenerated
> 'package-quickstart.el', and the same issue occurs.

I can reproduce this problem, too, but so far, I don't understand it.
The quickstart file includes these things from the package autoloads:

---
(add-to-list 'load-path (directory-file-name
                         (or (file-name-directory #$) (car load-path))))
---

Which...  is wrong on many levels, I think?

Because this would just put ~/.emacs.d/ into the load path if it worked
(which isn't what we wanted to achieve), and the `or' statement itself
is slightly nonsensical (what is it really trying to test here? #$
should always return a file name?)

But the regression is that #$ returns nil now in this case, and I'm not
sure why.  Anybody?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no