Subject: Re: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:33:45 +0300

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh
>  <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 18:55:25 +0530
> 
> Either way, I will ask for a greeting in Marathi, which uses the
> Devanagari script as well.

Thanks.  Maybe someone else will be able to show alternative greetings
in some other language(s) that use Devanagari, and we could then
decide how to proceed in this matter.

Btw, I'd like to clarify:

> And anyway, the script will not be renamed, since we follow Unicode in
> script names.  The patch didn't rename the script, and rightfully so.

When I wrote that, I meant the name of the script as a symbol, which
we use in char-script-table, in font- and fontset-related settings,
and in other similar situations.  I did not mean the name that appears
in HELLO, where we already decided to use Odia, per its official name.
Making the change there doesn't affect user input in any way, it's
just a "display name" of the script, so to say.