Subject: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 15:45:24 +0300

> From: समीर सिंह Sameer Singh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 05:44:30 +0530
> Cc: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], 
> 	Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
>  I agree that this change is correct, but let's not ever delete the old
>  name "Hindi".  Keeping an old alias does no harm.
> 
> Hindi is not an alias, it is an incorrect term.
> No one is using Hindi to refer to the Devanagari script, therefore I think it should not be readded.

AFAIU, Hindi is one language that uses the Devanagari script.  Is this
correct?  If that is correct, how about having two lines in HELLO: one
that says "Hindi" and shows a Hindi greeting, and another that says
"Devanagari" and shows a greeting in some other language that uses
Devanagari?

>  Until then, let's make sure that both the old name and the new name
>  are accepted, in any places in which people can input the name of a
>  script.
> 
> I feel like 11 years is enough time.

In Emacs, 11 years is nowhere near "long enough".

And anyway, the script will not be renamed, since we follow Unicode in
script names.  The patch didn't rename the script, and rightfully so.

> Only two functions are changed where it affects the user, both are input methods: odia-itrans and
> odia-inscript.

As I wrote in the review of the patch, we cannot suddenly remove input
methods that we had for 20 years.  We must find a less drastic
solution.