Subject: Re: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:03:46 +0530

[செவ்வாய் மே 17, 2022] Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > While we are it, should we change all instances of "Oriya" in Emacs to
>   > "Odiya"?
>
> The old name has been in use for almost a century, if not more, so we
> should not rush to deprecate it.  Perhaps in 30 years.
>
> Until then, let's make sure that both the old name and the new name
> are accepted, in any places in which people can input the name of a
> script.

I agree that both the new and the old name should be accepted, but I am
not sure it is worth the trouble.  In the interest of serving users, I
think it is better if we do the rename and inconvenience others a tiny
bit.  I would say that the current name "Oriya" makes it hard to find
the Emacs facilities of Odia support harder to find/learn as the user
might not think about searching for the old name.  Also, I believe the
rename will give a certain empowerment to the native speakers; much like
the renaming of cities and towns that has happened/is happening now in
India.