Subject: Re: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 19:13:54 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Yes, it is religious, but I argue it is no more religious than the Spanish
  > "Adios", French "Adieu"

They are much too religious!  I speak those languages, and I refuse to
use those words because using them would endorse religion.

                            or the English "Goodbye".

"Goodbye" is not like the other two.  It was derived from "God be with
you," but in the process it was contracted so much that the
relationship is not obvious even when explained.  English-speakers in
general do not see any relationship between "Goodbye" and "god".
Thus, in practice "Goodbye" is not religious.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)