Subject: Re: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 22:02:41 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> >> We can just add this or something like this at the end of the above
>> >> paragraph - "Search for the script name of your language to see if your
>> >> language is supported."
>> >
>> > Sorry, I don't think I understand.  Could you explain how that text
>> > could mislead someone into incorrect conclusions?  Armed with that
>> > explanation, I think I will be able to understand your suggestion.
>> 
>> I will use the case of Devanagari to explain the proposal: a number of
>> languages uses Devanagari as the script---Hindi, Marathi, Bhojpuri,
>> Konkani, etc.  Pankaj says that one might not know that their language
>> uses the _script_ called Devanagari as people rarely speak about the
>> _script_ itself but more about their _language_.  At least to me, it is
>> far less natural to speak about the script a language uses; we mostly
>> speak of the language itself and refer to the script as "the way we
>> write X language" (note how I don't use the word "script" at all here).

Thanks Visuwesh for the explanation.

> Thanks.  So will the text below be better?
>
>   This is a list of ways to say hello using various scripts.
>   It is not intended to be comprehensive, but to demonstrate
>   some of the character sets and writing systems that Emacs
>   supports.  Look for the script used to write your language,
>   to see if it is supported.

Yes. IMO, this is better explanation. Just one question - in the first
sentence -- "ways to _say_ hello" -- will it be "say" or "write"? Or
anyone is okay?