Subject: Re: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 20:01:40 +0530

[வியாழன் மே 19, 2022] Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 19:10:47 +0530
>> 
>> >> As I said, a language speaker might conclude it wrong even though
>> >> Emacs supports the language.
>> >
>> > I don't think I understand how could a language speaker arrive at some
>> > wrong conclusions, please elaborate.  If the problem is caused by this
>> > blurb we have at the beginning:
>> >
>> >   This is a list of ways to say hello in various languages.
>> >   It is not intended to be comprehensive, but to demonstrate
>> >   some of the character sets that Emacs supports.
>> >
>> > then we could amend that text.
>> 
>> We can just add this or something like this at the end of the above
>> paragraph - "Search for the script name of your language to see if your
>> language is supported."
>
> Sorry, I don't think I understand.  Could you explain how that text
> could mislead someone into incorrect conclusions?  Armed with that
> explanation, I think I will be able to understand your suggestion.

I will use the case of Devanagari to explain the proposal: a number of
languages uses Devanagari as the script---Hindi, Marathi, Bhojpuri,
Konkani, etc.  Pankaj says that one might not know that their language
uses the _script_ called Devanagari as people rarely speak about the
_script_ itself but more about their _language_.  At least to me, it is
far less natural to speak about the script a language uses; we mostly
speak of the language itself and refer to the script as "the way we
write X language" (note how I don't use the word "script" at all here).