Subject: bug#55439: [PATCH] Add support for the Modi script

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 10:12:22 +0300

> From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 08:44:07 +0530
> 
> > However, many scripts are used with only one language, and frequently
> > have the same name.  That is why it may seem that HELLO shows
> > languages.  But that's a mistake.
> 
> May be we can improve the format to cover language names in this file in
> an economical way (but that could be a separate discussion).

I think this could be a slippery slope.  Once we start showing
language names there, we risk people starting to request us to name
their favorite languages in the file, and we'd have to add more and
more of them.

> As I said, a language speaker might conclude it wrong even though
> Emacs supports the language.

I don't think I understand how could a language speaker arrive at some
wrong conclusions, please elaborate.  If the problem is caused by this
blurb we have at the beginning:

  This is a list of ways to say hello in various languages.
  It is not intended to be comprehensive, but to demonstrate
  some of the character sets that Emacs supports.

then we could amend that text.