Subject: Re: [PATCH 081/602] gnu: renpy: Build with Python 3.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 20:51:07 +0200

Am Donnerstag, dem 16.06.2022 um 13:11 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> Hi Liliana,
> 
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> 
> [...]
> 
> > According to upstream, only renpy 8.0 will run on python 3, whereas
> > renpy 7.5 (both still prereleases) will continue to use python 2.7.
> > 
> > I suggest "temporarily" reverting the following commits
> > 425783b5 "gnu: Remove python2-cython."
> > ffec658a "gnu: Remove python2-future."
> > 1a6eb0d6 "gnu: Remove python2-pygame-sdl2."
> > 9f1bd63f "gnu: renpy: Build with Python 3."
> > or alternatively dropping the renpy package altogether.  I have
> > already reverted them on my local tree, so I could push whenever –
> > the question is whether to do it in four separate commits or in a
> > big one along with an explanation.
> > 
> > WDYT?
> 
> Could you try updating renpy to a 8.0 pre-release?  It was last
> updated 6 days ago [0].  That'd be preferable to re-introducing
> Python 2 stuff.
That looks like the kind of link that would lead to hash conflicts once
the release is actually out (which isn't that bad normally, since I
tend to only use actual releases).  We could use some git tag though,
there's probably a bunch that don't map to releases.  In either case,
these prereleases should not be used to publish game with, which makes
packages for them kinda useless.

Long-term I do think Renpy 7 should not be in Guix upstream, but past
efforts to move it elsewhere like Guix Past ended up mere discussion. 
The questions for me is what to do shot-term, while Renpy 8 is not a
viable option.