Subject: Re: [PATCH 081/602] gnu: renpy: Build with Python 3.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 15:18:48 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 15.05.2022 um 00:37 -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> * gnu/packages/game-development.scm (renpy)[python]: Delete argument.
> [phases]: Delete trailing #t.
> [propagated-inputs]: Update the inputs to their Python 3
> counterparts.
> [native-inputs]: Likewise.
> ---
Sorry for commenting on a patch that has already been merged, but this
does not actually build renpy with Python 3, it builds the python parts
of renpy.  And although those "build" fine as a package, since they
lack tests, there is no guarantee that they work – as a matter of fact,
the actual renpy package, which failed to build against python 3 back
when I last updated the package still fails to build if I adjust the
package definition.

According to upstream, only renpy 8.0 will run on python 3, whereas
renpy 7.5 (both still prereleases) will continue to use python 2.7.

I suggest "temporarily" reverting the following commits
425783b5 "gnu: Remove python2-cython."
ffec658a "gnu: Remove python2-future."
1a6eb0d6 "gnu: Remove python2-pygame-sdl2."
9f1bd63f "gnu: renpy: Build with Python 3."
or alternatively dropping the renpy package altogether.  I have already
reverted them on my local tree, so I could push whenever – the question
is whether to do it in four separate commits or in a big one along with
an explanation.

WDYT?