Subject: [bug#55423] [PATCH]: gnu: Add mogan.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 16:24:27 +0200

Zhu Zihao schreef op zo 15-05-2022 om 22:05 [+0800]:
> Yes, it's bundled. But I don't have a plan to unbundle it. It's small
> and we'll have more work to do if we try to unbundle. 

From (guix)Synopses and Descriptions:

  8. Make sure the package does not use bundled copies of software
     already available as separate packages.

     Sometimes, packages include copies of the source code of their
     dependencies as a convenience for users.  However, as a
     distribution, we want to make sure that such packages end up using
     the copy we already have in the distribution, if there is one.
     This improves resource usage (the dependency is built and stored
     only once), and allows the distribution to make transverse changes
     such as applying security updates for a given software package in
     a single place and have them affect the whole system—something
     that bundled copies prevent.

I don't think resource usage is a problem here, but the security
updates and transverse changes bits seem relevant here to me
(also: bug fixes, less redundancy when checking source code for malware
or bugs, replacing the s7 used by applications by a custom one to test
out new features or performance or such, ...)

It's a bit of an investment now that gives some flexibility for the
future and avoids some potential problems (e.g. malware bit and
security updates bit).

Greetings,
Maxime.