Subject: bug#55414: 29.0.50; Byte compilation error for the modus-themes

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 12:02:40 -0400

> The disadvantage is that higher values prolong the time needed to
> detect real infinite recursions,

In my experience, this is rarely the case (or at least, the difference
is not large enough to make up for the annoyance of having to deal with
those somewhat arbitrary limits).

> and enlarge the probability of hitting C stack overflows,

This OTOH is the real issue.

FWIW, the specpdl stack does not use the C stack, so I'd be happy to
completely get rid of this `max-specpdl-size` artificial limit (or set
it to a much larger value).

Increasing `max-lisp-eval-depth` is much more delicate.

> whose consequences are much more serious and harder to endure without
> losing the session and its edits.

Indeed, C stack overflows are really nasty (and it's
difficult/impossible to avoid them reliably, sadly, so we're stuck with
conservative approximations like `max-lisp-eval-depth`).

        Stefan