Subject: Re: bug#55414: 29.0.50; Byte compilation error for the modus-themes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 14:09:28 +0300

> From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 07:37:02 +0300
> 
> > But if you can use local values, that'd be fine with me.
> 
> I tried setting local values, both by writing them to the files and
> adding them to .dir-locals.el, but they are ignored.  They are also
> ignored when I visit the files, as I keep getting a warning about risky
> local variables even after adding those to safe-local-variable-values
> and ensuring that ignored-local-variable-values is nil.

Not sure I understand how you tried that.  You should bind those
variables to larger values while byte- and native-compiling.  If you
use a Makefile to do that, do it there; see lisp/Makefile.in for some
examples.

If the above misses the point, please tell more how you compile the
package and how you tried to enlarge the values of those variables.

Thanks.