Subject: bug#55414: 29.0.50; Byte compilation error for the modus-themes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 16:56:28 +0300

> Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 13:48:27 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> In recent months I've increased max-specpdl-size to 5000 in
> emacs-lisp/comp.el, and also to 5000 (default is 2500) in
> leim/Makefile.in for the generation of leim-list.el.  Also
> max-specpdl-size to 5000 in admin/grammars/Makefile.in.

What value does modus-themes need?

> So, apologies, I was thinking more about max-specpdl-size.  But surely
> the default values of both these variables should be sufficiently large
> to handle almost any evaluation, with only the rarest/most specialised of
> evaluations needing them increased.

I'm asking why cannot modus-themes be just another exception, since
otherwise we do comply with the "handle almost any evaluation" rule of
thumb.

> > The disadvantage is that higher values prolong the time needed to
> > detect real infinite recursions, and enlarge the probability of
> > hitting C stack overflows, whose consequences are much more serious
> > and harder to endure without losing the session and its edits.
> 
> Yes.  I seem to remember the Elisp manual saying only that these values
> can be increased considerably without danger.  Or something like that.
> Perhaps we should be a little less vague on this point.

Feel free to make that text less vague.