Subject: bug#55414: 29.0.50; Byte compilation error for the modus-themes

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 12:03:05 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 14:15:38 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Cc: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 07:58:02 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> >    M-: (let ((max-lisp-eval-depth (* 2 max-lisp-eval-depth)))
> >    (byte-compile-file
> >    "~/Git/Projects/modus-themes/modus-operandi-theme.e..."))

> > If this compilation succeeds, then perhaps we need to increase our
> > default max-lisp-eval-depth.

> But do we need to do that by default in Emacs, when the problem is
> local to this theme?  Can't the package arrange for enlarging the
> threshold only for itself?

We could.  But I get the feeling that there are quite a lot of places
which increase max-lisp-eval-depth for their own use.  Rather than
increase this number of such places, couldn't we just increase the
default?

Put another way, is there any overwhelming disadvantage to having a
larger default value of max-lisp-eval-depth, and possibly
max-specpdl-size?  These values are not great, particularly compared
with the amount of RAM used by Emacs in general.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).