Subject: bug#55414: 29.0.50; Byte compilation error for the modus-themes

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 11:32:05 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 12:42:41 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> > I confirm that Mattias' patch fixes the problem.

How?  It's not even clear what problem you and Prot are talking about,
even whether it's exactly the same problem.

Mattias's patch CAN NOT	have fixed Prot's original stack overflow
problem.  Unless you believe in magic.

You have conflated two problems into one, and believe that a solution to
the second (the problems with byte-compile--first-symbol-with-pos)
somehow have solved the first (the stack overflow in modus-themes).
This cannot possibly be.

Mattias's patch looks faulty to me.  (Background: I wrote
byte-compile--first-symbol-with-pos.)

> Thanks, I'm closing this bug report, then.

Please don't do that yet.  The bug is not yet resolved.  If you have
already done this, do you mind if I reopen it?

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).