Subject: Re: bug#55412: 28.1; In Emacs 28.1, using ':eval' in 'frame-title-format' doesn't work properly

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 09:19:48 +0200

> With the Fselect_window call in place:
 > (i) When minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is nil, and the minibuffer is
 >    the current window before switching frames with C-x 5 o, it remains the
 >    current window on returning to the first frame.
 > (ii) When minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is t (the default) and other
 >    circumstances are as in (i), the minibuffer is no longer the selected
 >    window on returning to the first frame.
 > I wanted to fix this inconsistency, I think.
 >
 > Clearly, this inconsistency is less important than frame-title-format not
 > working.

When I type M-:, save the expression to evaluate from some other frame,
and the subsequent yank inserts that expression into a normal buffer
instead of the minibuffer, the resulting behavior does not constitute a
less important inconsistency but an annoying regression.  This is one of
the things that used to work "ever since".

 > May I suggest that one of us applies your patch immediately to
 > the release branch.  I will then attempt to find a less harmful way of
 > fixing that inconsistency, and will take direction from you which branch
 > it should be committed to.

In that case please default 'minibuffer-follows-selected-frame' to nil
and then try to find a suitable solution.  Or try the patch I posted.

martin