Subject: Re: bug#55403: 29.0.50; quit-window may select an inactive minibuffer window

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 08:41:49 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> emacs -q:
>>
>> (setq read-minibuffer-restore-windows nil)
>> M-x, to open a minibuffer
>> C-h b, to display a help buffer from this minibuffer
>> C-g, to quit the minibuffer
>> C-x C-o, to select the window showing the help buffer
>> q, (quit-window) will select the inactive minibuffer window
>
> I'm unable to reproduce this on the current trunk.

It's not entirely obvious that an inactive minibuffer window is selected
because the point is not immediately visible. Perhaps try to press C-n
at the end of the recipe, which makes the point visible, and see that
the mini-window is indeed selected.

>> In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
>>  of 2022-04-20 built on miha-pc
>> Repository revision: 4714f34928c12cc9ebda7c115526db4aa87c0d51
>
> It looks like you're running an older build (and that revision doesn't
> seem to be present in the Emacs git repo).  Can you try updating and
> seeing whether you can still see this problem?

I could reproduce the recipe on the current master as well, with the
following build details:

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-05-14 built on miha-pc
Repository revision: 004c2ced6e1eb71a54ea58e78c714ae69e215f63
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --without-libsystemd'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-extra seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv noutline
outline easy-mmode kmacro facemenu two-column help-mode cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 64245 5504)
 (symbols 48 6214 1)
 (strings 32 17431 1851)
 (string-bytes 1 567178)
 (vectors 16 12086)
 (vector-slots 8 172429 11492)
 (floats 8 29 43)
 (intervals 56 7239 279)
 (buffers 992 12))