Subject: bug#55391: Multiple slim services

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 09:29:43 +1000

Hi André,

On Mon, May 16 2022, André A. Gomes wrote:
> Here it goes.  The manual states that you can have two slim 
> services on different ttys.  Am I misinterpreting something? 
> Thank you!

I don't think you're misinterpreting anything, but Josselin is 
correct when they say

On Fri, May 13 2022, Josselin Poiret wrote:
> If I understand the relevant code properly, this should happen 
> only when you try to extend a service type (eg. 
> slim-service-type) with another service

In your case, you're using set-xorg-configuration which tries to 
extend your slim-service-type service. Unfortunately, you want to 
define two of them, which causes the extension mechanism to fail 
complaining about the ambiguity.

You should be able to fix this by adding the xorg-configuration 
directly into the slim service that you're defining, something 
like this:

    (cons* (service slim-service-type (slim-configuration
                                       (display ":0")
                                       (vt "vt7")
                                       (xorg-configuration
                                        (xorg-configuration
                                         (modules (list 
                                         xf86-input-libinput
     		                                        xf86-input-evdev
                                                        xf86-input-wacom))
                                         (keyboard-layout 
                                         keyboard-layout)
                                         (server-arguments
                                          ;; disable screen-saver 
                                          timeout
                                          (append (list "-s" "0")
                                                  %default-xorg-server-arguments))
                                         (extra-config (list 
                                         xorg-touchpad
                                                             xorg-monitor))))))
           (service slim-service-type (slim-configuration
                                       (display ":0")
                                       (vt "vt8")
                                       ;; I wasn't sure if you 
                                       wanted the same
                                       ;; xorg-configuration here, 
                                       so I left it out.
                                       ))
           (modify-services %desktop-services
             (delete gdm-service-type)
             (delete (screen-locker-service xlockmore "xlock"))))

I hope that helps,

Carlo