Subject: Re: [bug#55381] [PATCH 05/14] gnu: Add r-unglue.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2022 18:18:09 +0000

kyle schreef op do 12-05-2022 om 02:10 [+0000]:
> Use syntax inspired by the package 'glue'

Shouldn't this be 'r-glue'?  Guix doesn't have a package named 'glue'.
Also, writing a description (+- = some factual statements) in the
imperative mood ... is technically possible, but I wouldn't recommend
it.  Referring to another package for more information on what 'rust-
unglue' is about is technically possible, but a bit cumbersome for the
reader I think.  Maybe you can re-use parts of the description of
'r-glue'.

>  to extract matched substrings in a
> +more intuitive and compact way than by using standard regular expressions.

This is a bit markety language.

More generally, upstream descriptions often aren't great and require
some tweaking, expanding (and sometimes abbreviation, though not in
this particular case).  The manual has some general guidelines in
(guix)Synopses and Descriptions.

FWIW, I consider 'emacs', 'hello' and 'sed' to have good descriptions,
though the emacs description goes a bit markety with ‘highly
customizable ... extensive documention on everything’ and such ...
though in the case of Emacs those claims appear to be actually true so
maybe it's a good description after all.

Greetings,
Maxime.